I want you to realize that everything you say, good or bad, can be used against you in the court of public opinion if you are a target of bullying. So, please, don’t be confused or surprised when this happens as it will only further cloud your thinking and cause you not to defend yourself properly.
If you are a target of bullying, EXPECT the following:
- Any joke you fell, no matter how funny it may be, will be considered unfunny.
- Any self-deprecating humor will be seen as your having no self-confidence or being mentally unstable.
- Any sarcasm will be taken literally.
- Any casual comments such as, “I would love to have been able to sleep in this morning,” will be taken as your admitting you planned to be absent from school or work today and are complaining about having to come in. They will accuse you of either being a lazy bum or so depressed that you found it difficult to get out of bed.
- Any positive statements or compliments will be seen as kissing up or an attempt to score points with the recipient.
- Any self-confidence and good self-esteem will be perceived as being pompous, arrogant, and full of yourself.
- Refusing to talk to your bullies and their minions or to answer any gotcha questions, though justified, will be deemed as your being “too good to speak” or having something to hide.
- If you smile, they’ll think you’re plotting something.
- If you’re happy, you must’ve done something evil.
In short, when you are a target of bullying, you’re damned if you do and you’re damned if you don’t.
The sooner you realize this, the sooner you’ll be able to prepare to make your escape and move on to a better and more positive environment.