It’s funny how protecting yourself from bullies can be twisted into over-sensitivity, paranoia, vindictiveness, or vengefulness. But that’s exactly what bullies, or, in this case, gaslighters are good for.
When bullying progresses to a point when you feel like you have to wear a body camera to work or school to get evidence of what bullies are putting you through, that’s when you know without a doubt, you’re being gaslighted. So, it’s most important that you trust those feelings.
And sometimes, things may get so out of control that you may need to wear a body camera to work or school. And when you do, make sure you catch it raw and unfiltered. Also, be sure no one, not even your best friend knows you’re wearing it. That way, you risk less of a chance of retaliation, or your evidence being tampered with or destroyed.
But realize that once the evidence is out, whether it comes out in court, and your bullies realize they’ve been busted, they will then continue to gaslight you, especially to others. They’ll accuse you of being sneaky, shady, scandalous, paranoid, or crazy.
But to catch gaslighting early on, before you ever have to wear a body camera, here are a few common things gaslighters tell their targets:
- “You’re too sensitive.”
- “You’re make something out of nothing.”
- “I never said that.”
- “I don’t remember saying that.”
- “I’m not angry. If I was angry, you’d know it.”
- “It’s all your fault.”
- “You bring it all on yourself.”
- “Well, if you hadn’t done this, I wouldn’t have done that.”
- “You made me do it.”
- “You’re crazy.”
- “You’re mentally unstable.”
- “Nobody’s ever going to love you.”
- “You’re lucky I put up with you.”
- “This is why nobody likes you.”
- “You’re being petty.”
- “You’re making a mountain out of a molehill.”
- “You can’t take a joke!”
- “You’re insecure.”
- “You’re jealous.”
- “It’s all in your mind.”
- “It’s all a figment of your imagination.”
- “If you love me, you’ll do this.”
And the list goes on and on.
Realize that no matter how you do it, you absolutely must protect yourself against these psychos, and doing so requires that you know gaslighting when you hear it or see it. It also requires that you maintain your sense of self and if you did not do anything to provoke these bullies, stand strong and never let them twist the facts and accuse you otherwise.
With knowledge comes empowerment!