It’s true that, in most cases, we are our own worst critics and enemies. We get in our own way, sabotaging our own successes. Then, we wonder why we’re always stuck.
It’s because we listen to that nagging, bitchy voice that tells us we “can’t do it.” That we’re “going to fail epically.” We give too much attention to that taunting voice that laughs at our dreams and aspirations.
Here are a few reasons why we should pay that inner bully voice no mind:
1. It sabotages us. Thoughts have a way of becoming things and circumstances and they will only cause us to miss out on opportunities and flub our goals.
2. It serves us no purpose. That negative voice is a waste of time and will only keep you stuck if you’re not careful.
3. We might just end up believing it. What we believe, we become, and, as mentioned in number one, that evil voice only serves to sabotage and derail you from your goals and dreams.
4. It trashes our self-esteem. Over time, that voice will erode your self-esteem and steal away your confidence and peace of mind. Once your confidence is gone, bad things begin to happen. As Ralph Waldo Emerson quoted, “If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me.”
Here is what happens when we listen to our inner bully:
1. We put too much pressure on ourselves to meet standards that are unattainable.
2. We think we need a slew of friends to feel well-liked.
3. We think we need to be filthy rich to feel valuable.
4. We think we need to be ½ of a couple.
5. We live in the past or future instead of enjoying the present.
Most targets of bullying are especially bad for this and the only thing it does is make them feel worse about themselves. But, as humans, the inner bully is our default mind setting. We all have that inner voice that cuts us down to size.
Fortunately, there are things you can do about it. Isn’t it time you gave your inner bully the boot?
Replace that nagging voice in your head with that of a loving friend.
Replace the negative thoughts with those that are positive.
Train that inner voice to say positive things instead of negative.
Granted, this will be a difficult thing to do because your mind will fight you every step of the way. But when we catch ourselves thinking negative thoughts and replace them with thoughts that are positive, we will slowly rewire our brains until it finally becomes natural. What this is doing is creating new neural pathways and once those pathways are complete, you will naturally think more positively.
With knowledge comes empowerment!