Bullying is a process.
1. Bullies search for a target.
2. Bullies groom the potential target
3. A target is selected.
4. Bullies signal to bystanders that the target is ripe for bullying.
5. Bystanders are encouraged to join in the torment and unite with the bullies against the selected target.
6. Bystanders then become bullies themselves.
7. The target is involved in many physical fights in trying to defend themselves and gets labeled by teachers and staff as the troublemaker.
8. Bullies and bystanders go home and tell their parents and family members what a terrible person the target is.
9. The parents and family members of the bullies and bystanders go to work or the supermarket and relay the stories about the target to coworkers and friends- stories they were told by their children, grandchildren, younger siblings or cousins, nieces or nephews that this target is a terrible person.
10. The coworkers, friends, and extended family members then pass what they’re told to their families and word of the target’s perceived evilness or craziness spreads throughout the entire community.
11. The target’s reputation is destroyed.
12. The target’s opportunities for love, friendship, jobs, careers, etc. are either limited or lost.
13. The target either commits suicide or leaves town to pursue a better life.
14. The target who relocates finally gets a fresh start and reinvents himself.
15. The target rebuilds his/her life, begins to flourish, and creates a better life for themselves.
With knowledge comes empowerment!